Thursday, June 21, 2007

ups and downs

july 9 has been imprinted on my brain for over a year now. i can't escape july 9 and my return to work. as i get closer and closer to july 9 and panic starts to set in, the less i can forget about july 9. it is there looming while it quietly eats away at me and at the time i have left at home with baby j.

this morning i clued in that july 9 is two and half weeks away. where the hell did june go? i'm not ready to go back to work!

i've been taking the wee monkey in to his daycare for little visits. we're working up to leaving him there on his own. the visits are going well. baby j is socialable and adapatable. this bodes well for him and the transition.

this morning i dropped him off for about an hour and a half while i zipped off to the mall.

i picked up a few things and thought that trying on jeans would be an excellent distraction. how can i worry about my child when i'm cramming my thighs into a pair of jeans? i grabbed about 6 pairs of jeans of various styles, lengths, and sizes and headed to the dressing room. clinton and stacy have taught me that i want a generous boot cut or straight leg jean and i know from experience that a little stretch is fine but a lot of stretch is bad.

one pair was not bad but not great. the other pairs were too big (!), too short in the waist, too stretchy. as i was walking out of the change room, the sales person (a full grown woman, not a cranky teen) asked if i had found what i was looking for. i asked for straight leg sans stretch. she happily pulled some different styles for me (fyi, the gap doesn't sell straight leg without stretch. why?), and even said, these ones stretch out a lot so you'll probably want to go down to a size 8.

hold that thought for a moment. a size 8.

i know it is just a number. and i know that really if they stretch out that much that they are not really an 8 but still. but still!

i had to dash to get baby j so i didn't stay to try on the size 8s but i'll probably go back. (he did fine, btw. didn't even notice i was gone.)

also, i'd like to ask what is up with all of the tops in the stores looking like maternity wear? the only people who could wear that look and not look pregnant are girls with no boobs and no body fat. everyone else is gonna look bigger than they are. and i did the maternity wear thing last year, i don't need to do it again. i was hoping to get some tops that are not t shirts but if these ruffly, blousey tops are the alternative, i'll stick with Ts.

ps. no knitting. i didn't get the tie done for father's day. i wrapped it up on the needles and gifted it anyway.

3 comments:

Mrs. Young said...

OH MY LORD! It is sooo soon. I can't believe its been a year! Holy shit!

The first thing you need to do is get a trip scheduled for seattle. Bring the monkey and I will watch him while you go to the office. We will do the target thang - I bet they have non maternity tops.

And, I like the maternity tops. They are great - I always feel too exposed in regular tank tops - the flowy ones let you feel like summer without feeling like you are showing off all your rolls (and dont say i dont have rolls because I do) But i guess i dont have boobs, so maybe thats why they work for me. I think if i had to chose, i would rather have boobs. I only get to enjoy the materinity tops when they are in fashion. Boobs are for life.

PS I miss you. And I cried a little when I saw that knitting is on hiaitus.

Mrs. Young said...

oh and of course - hooray for size 8!

Trixie said...

i miss you too, beckstar.

are you enjoying your days in seattle? what plans are you cooking up for the fall? are you doing the publishing course?

i would love to shop at target with you. if i do get sent west, you are totally on. not sure if i'll bring the monkey. if i do then my baby's daddy would have to come too. i don't think he'd forgive me for leaving him behind a third time.

i bet you look too cute in those tops. i'd rather be boobless and cute than busty and ... busty.