Friday, March 9, 2007

nothing to do with anything

i never really liked barbies as a kid. they didn't do anything and they were so stiff. i was constantly losing her shoes and the "diamond" ring and that bugged me. i remember owning three barbies: barbie, ken, and skipper (who, when you rotated her arm forward grew breasts and when you rotated it back became flat. really.)

i also had a carrying case. it had two spots where you could put your barbies and then two areas for their wardrobes. it looked like this (only not so gross). i am not sure about the cover; i think mine was just plain but maybe i've just blocked it out.

my outstanding memory of that case is its smell. the thing reeked of plastic. throat-clogging plastic. i didn't like playing with it because of the smell.

about 7 years ago (yipes! 7 years. oh my.) i started a new job and on the first day was handed a training guide in a plastic binder along with the 8 or 9 other new hires. i sat in a room reeking of plastic for a week, thinking of barbie dolls and strawberry shortcake and rainbow brite and learned nothing about video networking.

last night i put up a new shower curtain liner. and now my bathroom smells like a barbie carrying case.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You had one of those cases - JEALOUS! I always wanted one, instead I carried my barbies and their accessories around in Crown Royal bags. Don't know what that says...

Is it wrong that I've always really liked that plastic smell? I'd huff it if it was possible. But then I also like the following smells:
- burnt matches
- Canadian Tire (the whole store)
- garages
- sawdust

Looks like I've stumbled onto one of those weird things about me...

Ms. Hedda said...

Also JEALOUS. I had some form of Barbie carrying case, but it was a strange knockoff variety (possibly antique) that just made me embarrassed and was too much of a mess to be useful. Also, I had like 15 barbies (I don't remember having a Ken, though I must've), so they wouldn't have fit.

Not a fan of the plastic smell, but I can relate enormously to Beth's list of smells. Just thinking about the smell or Canadian Tire or garages bring distinct memories. CT is always in winter time (Christmasy), and garages are always someone else's (I've never had one, but others' fascinated me. What do people DO with all this stuff?)

Trixie said...

beth, feel free to come over and huff my bathroom. i predict a two week window before it become bearable. it is nice having a spanky new shower curtain though. i didn't realize the extent of the grunge on the old one.

there's a distinct garage smell that puts me back into my nonnu's garage. i think it is a combination of dirt, grass clippings and motor oil. i love that smell.

and no need to be jealous anymore, my lovelies. the carrying case is long gone as are its occupants.